Saturday, August 18, 2012

Lessons Learned

I have a short story to share, which I hope is the first of many that will serve as evidence that something can be learned from Jon's life - perhaps one of the best ways to ensure he lives on.  Recently, I was walking with a friend of mine, who had just returned from a girls' weekend with a bunch of her close friends.  She was telling me that during the weekend, one of the friends got very upset at something which seemed trivial to the rest of the girls, and abruptly decided to go home early.  Naturally, those left behind were perturbed at what seemed like unnecessary drama.  My friend went on to question outloud how to handle the girl who left, now that the weekend was over, understandably wanting to let her know that they were hurt and annoyed that she put such a damper on their weekend.  A few months ago, I would have jumped right on the bandwagon and thrown my annoyance onto the pile.  But I think Jon's death has made me see things so differently now, and before I knew it, out of my mouth came a simple but apparently powerful statement about how you never know what someone might be going through on the inside, what demons they might be fighting, and what pain they might be suffering from.  Try first to understand someone else's pain, without judging or assuming you know the feelings or motives behind their behavior.  My friend was quiet, our walk continued, and the topic changed.  The next week, when we met again for a walk, she told me she owed me a big thank you - apparently what I had said to her (which I had long since forgotten about) struck her deeply, and in her words, completely changed not only how she approached the situation, but also how the rest of her friends did, after she shared our conversation with them.  I in turn thanked her, for making me aware that - without knowing - I had passed on a lesson that has come from the very deep sadness I feel for not fully understanding Jon's pain.  I feel immesurable regret over that, and struggle every day to accept that I cannot change the past.  This simple occurence with my friend however, reassures me that maybe I can change the future, and that I am now more obliged to do so than ever.  Jon has taught me that behind anger and even hurtful behavior, there may be a deep personal struggle that isn't easy to understand, but that meeting it without judgement and a desire to understand just might make a difference.

4 comments:

  1. Jen,

    What a gift you have been given by Jon's death..he is still alive in our lives and is teaching us still. I am remembering all the talks we shared and his wit, sadness,joy, intelligent thoughts and his depth.
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Still trying to figure out how to comment so this might be a repeat of what I wrote this morning after reading jens story. Worth repeating though. I don't go to church like some people do on Sundays but today I got my inspiration. It's true that when we are frustrated with th behavior of someone close and can't seem to affect a change we go to "why are they doing this to me".
    As if it's wrong when we don't sign off on it. I for one need to remember what I know: the love is there & what that person needs , what we all need is acceptance and guidance when asked for it. We can't possibly know what it feels like to be anyone else. There is just such a lack of tolerance in the world anyway but at least have the ability to fix our own relationships. Just need a good story like this one to remember that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Carol (and you too, Jen). Unless you have walked a mile in someone else's shoes, do not judge them. We can not possibly know their pain. My wish for everyone is to accept people (especially our loved ones) unconditionally and without judgement.

    Jen this is a follow-up to Jeff's story. I think I have told you this story before but it is worth repeating. My best book prompted by Jon was "Crime and Punishment". We talked almost nightly as I struggled through this book but not for the reason you think. The agony, fear, depression and mental and physical illness that the lead character went through was so vivid that I too felt his agony almost to a point of feeling sick. I would be emotionally exhausted after reading a chapter and Jon would dive even deeper into these emotions as we talked. It was emotionally draining but I will never forget that book or Jon's deep responses. We truly did share the "dark side" during that time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sweet Jen, at least that's how I remember you and Jon. I met you both just a couple of times at about the age you are in this darling picture. In 1972, when Jon came into this world, I was graduating high-school. A few years later, I moved to Los Angeles and have been here ever since. I hadn't seen your dad in years, until my mother (Loretta) passed last September, and your dad came to her services. Yet, when I learned of Jon's passing, I was deeply saddened as my only memory of you both were as beautiful young children. What I do remember, was your mother's love for you both, and the beauty she exuded to all. As with my mother now, each time I pass a beautiful pink rose, I feel her presence and feel she is somehow letting me know she is with me always. This blog and your writings keep Jon in our memories. It's a beautiful tribute to him Jen, for the love you both shared for each other. For me personally, it has given me a chance to get to know Jon, and you, and I am grateful...much love to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete